Todd,

Had a similar situation several years ago.  This particular building had
multiple design areas ranging from light to high piled storage.  We decided
we had to design to the no-pump supply data.  Using your example of a 650
gpm sprinkler demand, what if only 75% of the design area sprinklers
activated?  That's a sprinkler flow of approx 488 gpm.  If you design to the
with-pump supply, you may or may not be getting the density you need.
Difficult to predict since the actual delivered density increases with fewer
sprinks activated.

At best, I think you lose some of the hidden safety factors normally built
into the hydraulics.

Now eat lots of turkey - THAT will put you to sleep!

Ed Kramer
Littleton, CO

> 
> I did a flow test yesterday where the municipality had recently
> installed a new variable speed pump at a pumping station. The static
> pressure was 67 psi. We flowed the hydrant and the pressure dropped
> to about 45 psi (flow of about 500 gpm). Then the pump kicked in and
> boosted the pressure back up to 65 psi at a flow of about 750 gpm.
> The system I am designing is a 13R, so which curve to use is obvious.
> However, if the sprinkler system design required 650 gpm, should I
> use the curve without the pump or include the new pump as the water
> supply for the design? Prudence may dictate that you use the supply
> without the pump, but what if now a pump would be required to meet
> that demand? I know this is rhetorical, but I'm losing sleep......
> 
> Todd G. Williams, PE
> Fire Protection Design/Consulting
> Stonington, Connecticut
> www.fpdc.com
> 860.535.2080

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to