Scot,

It really goes back to the contract. A contract is an agreement about
a request to to something and and offer of doing it. If I say I'll do
what ever you want for ten chickens and a horse then I can reasonably
expect ten chickens and a horse and you can ask me to wear a dress
while sharpening all the pencils in the world. If I say I'll move two
hundred heads for X dollars then if I move 200 heads I should get X
dollars and I anything you demand I do beyond that would constitute a
windfall profit on your part and that's illegal if you use some tactic
like holding back a portion of my dollars to compel me to do the extra
work. If you would like me to do additional work you can either write
a new specification and have that upon, offer me an open-ended change
order, or ask me to provide you with a fixed price in return for that
change order. In no case am I obligated to accept any terms or
conditions that I don't agree with that are beyond the scope of the
original contract whether I would profit or not from the extra work.
On the other hand I can agree to do anything extra on any terms that
you also agree to and we have a new contract. The contractor may have
other work in his queue that require the labor force on your job so as
to meet schedules and other commitments he has contracted for and so
elects to not do the extra work you've requested. The GC and the sub
may have developed a negative relationship on this job and the sub
only wants to fulfill his obligation and move on. I could keep writing
scenarios where I might not want to take on a particular job all
afternoon but bottom line is the sub has no vested interest in this
project beyond the terms and conditions of the contract and cannot be
expected or compelled to do any work beyond those terms and
conditions. For him your request is not a continuation of the job but
a totally new job.

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 11:04 AM, å... .... <[email protected]> wrote:
> bracing.  i asked for bracing at endsand elbows of mains in the 12,000 sq.
> ft. design area.  The bracing was
> only to be lateral bracing within 6 ft of
> these mentioned points.  If this request
> is unreasonable and not-standard practice
> for a head replacement, then I will CHANGE my
> mind and the request.
>
> I don't know if the sprinklers are different,
> but I bet they are.  Outgoing sprinklers are from
> 1993 or so.  That was another of my requests:
> that they provide the SIN for the sprinkler.
>
> The sprinkler contractor is a well known
> name.  so they know how they want to
> play this game.  Design includes minor
> density changes-- in some places up, in
> some places down, mostly the same.
> I am sure the area of coverage has changed,
> unless military did 3,000 square ft design
> areas back in the early 90's.   they apparently
> were not E/Q bracing then.
>
> scot deal
> excelsior fire
>
>
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Scott A. Futrell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Scot,
>>
>> I need more information about b.  the bracing request.
>>
>> However, on a. IF they are changing one sprinkler for one sprinkler, with
>> the same density, k-factor, coverage and so on then I don't think all of
>> that detail is necessary.  However, I completely agree and would say they
>> need to show enough of the existing sprinkler system to verify that the
>> changes are appropriate IF there is a reason to believe the original system
>> wasn't correct or appropriate, or IF walls are being removed and it was a
>> room design design before then they need to show piping, valve assembly,
>> underground and so on and provide calculations.  IF they are changing the
>> area of coverage, it isn't one-for-one replacement, they are changing
>> k-factors, and so on then they need to show piping, valve assembly,
>> underground and so and provide calculations.
>>
>> There are several different scenarios that would have to be addressed
>> individually.
>>
>> Scott
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>



-- 
Ron Greenman
at home....
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to