George,

Communication is communication. Content over context, especially here.
I'll defer to the fact that Winston Churchill had a far greater
mastery of the English language than I and here is what he had to say
regarding a similar topic: "Not ending sentences with prepositions is
nonsense up with which I will not put." 'Nuff said.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:33 AM, George Church <[email protected]> wrote:
> 70% of the failures attributable to improperly closed valves is what I
> recall, don't know that we hit 97% but it wouldn't surpise me.
> I also recall 70% with 2 heads, 90-some% with 4 heads or less controlling
> fires. I'd email Jim Lake, staff liason for both 13 and 25- as close to
> applicable standards for the study as I can think of.
>
> Sorry to end a sentence with a preposition, Ron.
>
> glc
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected]
> [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Chris Cahill
> Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:15 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: technical issue
>
> NFPA did a report about 3-5 years ago on the topic of failures.  My summary
> is if the valve is open and no one interferes with the system after the fire
> starts for all systems the failure rate is very, very tiny like to the
> extent it happens but isn't something we need to really worry about.  KEEP
> THE DAMN VALVE OPEN!  It's even divided by occupancy.  LH are even smaller
> failure rate, storage and high hazard were more but still ridiculously low.
> This is the source of George's 70% comment but I don't recall the number.  I
> thought it was like 97%.  Or maybe 97% success and of the 3% failure 70% are
> from closed valves which leaves 0.9% of all systems would be successful if
> the valve was open.  Who ever reads it please remind me.
>
> They, NFPA, also have save data from what the fire departments report.
> That's about the best you can get on that.  And I'll tell you right now even
> FD's under report sprinkler saves even when they know about them.  Less
> paper work is the motivator here.
>
> Chris Cahill, P.E.
> Fire Protection Engineer
> Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.
>
> 763-658-4483
> 763-658-4921 fax
>
> Email: [email protected]
>
> Mail: P.O. Box 69
>        Waverly, MN 55390
>
> Location: 4439 Hwy 12 SW
>              Waverly, MN 55390
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected]
> [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of George Church
> Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:38 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: technical issue
>
> I'd suggest NFPA as the best source for this. Problem is, there is no
> nationwide clearinghouse recording this data like our friends Down Under
> have, so many of our "saves" are buried on page 72 of the newspaper, as in
> "Sprinkler system floods building" and in the last para they mention- oh,
> there was a fire.... but they ignore that the building was saved.
>
> Another source would be FM Global, or other major risk insurers.
>
> I'm trying to recall where I read that 70% of fires spkrs failed to control
> were caused by improperly closed valves- NFPA source, don't recall where it
> was published, tho.
>
> Along that line of thought, tho- when PA came out of the early 80's BOCA and
> into the I-Codes world in April, 2004, I asked L&I if they were intending to
> require compliance with #25 via IBC ref to 13 ref to 25; the answer was that
> the intent of the legislature was specifically NOT to require any ITM with
> the new Uniform Construction Code based on IBC. (sigh)
>
> glc
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected]
> [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Greg McGahan
> Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:25 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: technical issue
>
> You guys are great, sometimes abrupt, sometime too silly, but great. I
> appreciate and enjoy most of the forum...Thanks,
>
> I need to know if anyone has statistics that show any data related to
> sprinkler system failure due to poor maintenance - for a small in house
> class I am doing btw.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
>
> Greg McGahan
> Operations Manager
>
> Living Water Fire Protection
> 1160 McKenzie Road
> P.O. Box 877
> Cantonment, Florida 32533
> (850) 937.1850 | Fax (850) 937.1852 | Cell (850) 554.3231
> [email protected]
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>
> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>
> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>
> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>
> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>



-- 
Ron Greenman
Instructor
Fire Protection Engineering
Bates Technical College
Tacoma, WA

Member:
SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, AFSA, NFSA AFAA, WSAFM
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to