If you go to the CPSC website, and search star dry heads you will see that they
are recalled.

The terms voluntary recall and mandatory recall are different only in the
following manner:

In a voluntary recall, the manufacturer willingly recalls the sprinkler such as
the case with Tyco.

In a mandatory one, such as the case with Reliable concealed heads, the
manufacturer is sued by the CPSC and forced by court order to recall.

That is my understanding, as one who is not a lawyer.

Past aside, today it is clear that recalled components must be replaced.

As for being forced, I once leased an apartment which had recalled fire
sprinklers. The manager refused to replace them when I informed him/her of this
condition. After I filed a complaint in court asking the court to mandate their
replacement, the owner promptly replaced them before the trial date. NFPA 25
aside, there are various arguments for replacing that involve liability and if
I receive damage while lodging in a hotel with recalled sprinklers (as a result
of recalled sprinklers) I'm suing the owner and then the AHJ, and owner and
others can argue before a judge who probably won't care about their reasoning
anyway.

Forest Wilson

Project Manager
Cherokee Fire Protection Co.
3195 Dayton Xenia Rd Ste 900
Dayton OH 45434

ph: 937-376-2333
fx: 614-455-4324
cell: 937-307-5647

.

Visit our blog: www.cherokee-fire.blogspot.com

NOTICE: The information contained in this email is intended to be solely for
the use of the named individual or entity to which it is directed and may
contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential. It is not
intended for transmission to, or receipt by, anyone other than the named
addressee (or a person authorized to deliver it to the named addressee). It
should not be copied or forwarded to any unauthorized persons. If you have
received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your
system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by
reply email or by calling Cherokee Fire Protection Co. at 888-347-3079 toll
free.