To anyone who wants I can forward 2 good pictures that we can debate whether
it's bonding or grounding.

Joe Burtell

-----Original Message-----
From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Sprinkler
Academy - C Bilbo
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009 11:10 AM
To: FORUM
Subject: RE: Bonding of sprinkler systems

Yo forumites,

Bonding is not easy too define in an exact way as totally different from
grounding.  The difference is in the purpose.

-Don't ground something to the sprinkler system that may make the sprinkler
system become charged.

-Do bond the system to the building and the lightning protection system
where required.

Bonding means that if a small electrcal currents build up within or hit the
building (or the sprinkler system), that the current would made less
dangerous by "sharing" it with the rest of the building and it's systems.
Now this is a very simplistic explanation and not worthy of sharing with
your electrician friends.

Full bonding of the sprinkler system is nearly impossible and often
misunderstood and misapplied.  Just ensure with the electrician that they
have not "grounded" a system to the sprinkler piping.

Good clue for the real world:  If there is a single small wire going from a
panel cover or a JB (junction box) to the sprinkler system (or even a series
of small wires), that is likely an effort at bonding.  If there is a major
wire going from inside a panel or from a large rod to the sprinkler system,
someone has lkely misunderstood the whole grounding/bonding issue.

And don't try to get involved with the bonding stuff.  EXCLUDE IT FROM ALL
OF YOUR WORK!!  Cause, as I said, it is nearly impossible to fully bond the
sprinkler system as a single unit to the building.

It should be recognized that the above is my opinion as a member of the NFPA
13 Committee on Installation Criteria, and has not been processed as a
formal interpretation in accordance with the NFPA Regulations Governing
Committee Projects and should therefore not be considered, nor relied upon,
as the official position of the the NFPA, nor any of their technical
committees.

Sincerely,

Cecil Bilbo
Academy of Fire Sprinkler Technology