"Anyone in NY know what happened to the bad guy in this one from the recent
past?"

Do we know there was a bad guy?  Bad things happen every day without a bad
guy.  I concede most bad things come with bad guys but not all.  Do we even
know how the fire started?  I know nothing about the incident other than
some form of sprinklers, some level of care needed for residents and some
deaths.  Was it arson, were the care givers cooking meth, were they drunk on
the couch and ignored the smoke detectors, were the SD's disabled from
breakfast prep.  Serious the sprinklers and the installer and the EOR (which
I'd bet doesn't exist) may not have had anything to do with it.  Did the
owner move in residents that didn't belong there?

Where were the Gov't officials in this?   Aren't they potential bad guys?
If the private sector did indeed screw up what about the various AHJ's and
insurance underwriter.  Wasn't there one unsprinklered in TN or KY a few
years ago where the Fire Chief's mother resided?  Come on, a fire safety
professional housing mom in an unsprinklered nursing home?

And remember this might be a retrofit situation and have been perfectly
legal.  Yes, I understand legal <> moral or ethical.  It's certainly a good
place to start.  The law is said to be a reflection of our collective
values. I'd bet there are more people alive today by sacrificing for 13D
retrofit in assisted care than would otherwise be if we waited out the cost
of higher standards.  In the 80's we/society de-institutionalized people
because we felt with the cost and risks of living in a home environment was
better in the big picture.  There are pros and cons, death by fire being
more probable being a major con.  We accepted this.  We/society cannot
afford to save everyone from everything.  I'll look at the big picture and
not call foul looking at just one very, very tiny example.

And if one wants to use "difficult or impossible to evacuate" as a test for
13D well what say you to kids under 6 like last week in MS.  Wouldn't that
bunch have been "difficult or impossible to evacuate" with a 13D system?  Is
the Kate and 8 house sprinklered?  How about the 20 something in AL (or
wherever that is)? I have an 8 and 10 yo and I'm not confident in a real
situation they would react properly.  And yes, just yesterday we reviewed
safety issues for his Cub Scout badge.  He knows all the right answers on
the couch but at 3am?   Remember the news investigation reports a few years
ago where kids didn't even hear smoke detectors never mind appropriately
react?

Hell we can't get drunk drivers off the road that kill and you want to get
Dennis the Coverplate Gluer.  Seriously, it's the character of the man that
causes bad behavior.  Clearly the Gluer family has no redeeming character,
wouldn't matter what industry he was in.

I am mostly playing devil's advocate until I have enough information to make
a judgment on the case.  And unfortunately the legal I'm sure will tie that
up so we can never learn.  Please direct me if there is good credible
information.

Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.