I can only point to the same code, and interpret "used" literally. I hope I
am wrong about this-- if so I would not feel bad about having left a box or
two of heads off remote lines :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Cahill [mailto:chr...@sentryfiremn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:30 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org; bcasterl...@fsc-inc.com
Subject: RE: Calc Area

Could you point to a code section or any materials that suggest if you end
up at 1640 you need 49'?  Yes 02'-14.4.4.1.1.1 has the term 'used' but
that's in reference to the area used out of the tables not the area actually
used in the calc.

If you choose an area of 0.098/1640 (used) for light hazard by sliding up
the curve then yes you are correct 49' would be required.

If I choose 0.1/1500 (used) and because I ended up on the first try at 1499
sq.ft. I added another head resulting in 1640 sq.ft. I still only have to
calculate 46.5'.

I respect you may choose to do more when you go over 1500 sq.ft. But I don't
think it's actually required by code.

Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.