I have not heard of an engineer that will just stamp a drawing for a fee to
get some extra money and make something "legit". I'm sure there are some out
there somewhere, but all PE's I know will only do what they are qualified
for and will not jeopardize their reputation or their career. A PE with a
jeopardized reputation might as well hang up his career. And I wouldn't
gamble the company I work for by getting a PE to stamp our drawings that was
not "qualified". I'm sure the repercussions would affect us as well, not
just him.

 

If we do our job correctly as designers and we are required to get a PE, and
we hire a qualified PE, I do not see the problem with this. The problem lies
when we don't do our job's correctly and we research and find someone with a
PE stamp willing to just sign off, yes there is a huge problem and the
repercussions will come. Sadly enough I'm sure that has happened.

 

Bobby Gillett

Sr. Project Manager

Key Fire Protection, Inc.

(731) 424-0130 office  (731) 424-9285 fax 

(731) 267-4853 cell

 <mailto:[email protected]>
[email protected]

 

 

  _____  

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Jeff Hewitt
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 11:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Louisiana Professional of Record question

 

Also, you stated "Seems to me the design doesn't exist until the PE signs
the drawing and supporting paper (like spec's, calc's, etc).  A signed
drawing is a design everything else up to that point is?...but random lines
on a paper? How the design got to exist is semantics?

I cannot disagree more.  Just because someone went and got a PE, any willing
page stamper to seal their drawing does NOT make it a design at that point.
It is not a legal design if the stamp is not legit, i.e. stamped by a
QUALIFIED PE.  ALL that it means is that they tried to "game" the system to
get their permit.  How is the public safety served by such abuse?

Jeff Hewitt, PE, SET, SFPE (Professional Member)
Corporate Engineer
Bi-State Fire Protection Corporation

241 Hughes Lane
St. Charles, MO  63301
636-946-0011
636-946-5172 (fax)
314-574-6989 (cell)

Fire Sprinklers Save lives.
Can You Live Without Them?




_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to