Hey Tom, I have had these gremlin leaks many times. First, I would make up a 9' pipe stand. I have found that these leaks are usually due to imperfections in the gasket surface. The ones that protrude out, such as rust or old gasket material, just grind, file , wire-wheel away. Sometimes there is pitting though. I found a product while building an engine which works very well for this problem. It is a copper gasket sealer in a spray can available at auto parts stores. Once you spray it on and let it tack up, it will hold the gasket in place while assembling the unit. This stuff really helped me out with a balky fire pump head gasket once.
Anybody remember a product we used to paint on flanges? It was red like cpvc cement and I think Permatex made it? It worked but it dries hard and would possibly crack if the valve assembly shifted. Believe it or not I retrofitted a building in which the fitters used this product as a pipe thread sealer. Even on the heads!!! I crushed a lot of pipe with the wrench trying to disassemble it. I still have a drop. I would like to take some pics. Where would be the best place to post them? Hmmmm...... Thomas Watt Foreman/Fitter Extraordinaire On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Tom Duross <[email protected]> wrote: > I recently replaced an 8" wafer check on a pump bypass and had a bear of a > time doing it. It sits between 2 8" OS&Y gate valves 9' in the air and the > whole room is flanged done in 1972. When I took the old one out, the > system > side valve dropped about 1/8". Plus, I had to use a bottle jack and > wedges > just to spread it enough to get old out and new in and now I have a drip. > I > used the same jack to lift the old valve back up and all seemed fine but 2 > weeks later; drip, drip. I'm wondering if using double gaskets or maybe > those ribbed gaskets might help. It's a Milwaukee 1400 if that helps. > Anyone been there done that? > TD > > > _______________________________________________ > Sprinklerforum mailing list > [email protected] > http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum > > For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected] > > To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected] > (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field) > _______________________________________________ Sprinklerforum mailing list [email protected] http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected] To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected] (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
