I have not "been there done that" but I have seen fitters try to use a
flange gasket with wafer valves, which already have a built-in gasket.
This creates a rubber-on-rubber seal which does not work well.  Yes,
sometimes you can get it to seal, but sometimes not.  If you feel you need
a flange gasket in conjunction with the wafer gasket you should really put
a steel washer ring in between so there is rubber-to-metal contact on each
side.

If that is not possible due to the tight fit, it may be that you have what
the thread title says  - misaligned flanges.  The fix for that seems like
it would be to align the flanges.  If this assembly is up in the air at the
9-foot elevation, what is supporting it?  It may be that there needs to be
more hangers for all that weight to "align" the flanges and get a good
seal.

John Hoffman P.E. | Fire Protection Engineer | Facility Engineering
Services, KCP, LLC - Burns & McDonnell Engineering | National Nuclear
Security Administration's Kansas City Plant | Operated by Honeywell FM&T |
2000 E. 95th St | Kansas City, MO  64131 | ph 816-997-7213 |
[email protected]


                                                                                
                                       
  From:       "Tom Duross" <[email protected]>                               
                                       
                                                                                
                                       
  To:         <[email protected]>                                
                                       
                                                                                
                                       
  Date:       02/09/2011 04:20 PM                                               
                                       
                                                                                
                                       
  Subject:    misaligned flanges                                                
                                       
                                                                                
                                       
  Sent by:    [email protected]                          
                                       
                                                                                
                                       





I recently replaced an 8" wafer check on a pump bypass and had a bear of a
time doing it.  It sits between 2 8" OS&Y gate valves 9' in the air and the
whole room is flanged done in 1972.  When I took the old one out, the
system
side valve dropped about 1/8".   Plus, I had to use a bottle jack and
wedges
just to spread it enough to get old out and new in and now I have a drip.
I
used the same jack to lift the old valve back up and all seemed fine but 2
weeks later; drip, drip.  I'm wondering if using double gaskets or maybe
those ribbed gaskets might help.  It's a Milwaukee 1400 if that helps.
Anyone been there done that?
TD


_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)



_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to