Ron,

Thanks for straightening me out, Teach! Can I at least get an I-?

NFPA 72, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code, 2010 Edition
Annex A Explanatory Material 
A.17.12.1 Piping between the sprinkler system and a pressure actuated
alarm-initiating device should be galvanized or of nonferrous metal or other
approved corrosion-resistant material of not less than 3/8 in

Ps. I got report cards on stone tablets-- E,S,M,I,F
CC: Sean 

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Casterline [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 8:08 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Air Maintenance Device Sizes

Uh oh! I will look at lunch time. I should know better than to repeat
hearsay- I was shown a 'What's wrong with this picture?' in a fire alarm
seminar 5 years ago- I think the pressure switch had a black nip, and told
that 72 requires non-corrosive pipe for anything to do with actuation- it
seems an AMD would have to do with actuation. Wish me luck :(      

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Greenman [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:51 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Air Maintenance Device Sizes

Brad,

Reference!!! I can't imagine nor find anything in 72 that does or
should talk about air delivery to DPVs or actuators for that matter.
Layout of detectors to an FAP with releasing relays or to a dedicated
releasing panel perhaps. But air maintenance or any actuation
device….No, no, no.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Ron Greenman <[email protected]> wrote:
> AMD and air regulator are not synonymous. Some AMDs have regulators
> but no regulator would be a listed AMD assembly.
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Roland Huggins
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> you can also do an online search of the UL directory for listed products.
>>
>> Roland
>>
>> On Mar 24, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Sean Lockyer wrote:
>>
>>> I have an odd situation that I have never seen before; I recently did an
>>> inspection in which we had a faulty air maintenance device (Tyco AMD-1)
>>> and
>>> the air maintenance device itself is 1/2" but the piping back to the AMD
>>> to
>>> the dry pipe valve was 1/4" (it was reduced down immediately from the
>>> connection). Per the listing isn't the piping required to be a minimum
of
>>> 1/2" ? In addition, is there an code reference requiring the AMD line to
>>> be
>>> a minimum size ?
>>>
>>> Lastly, there was another AMD for a model that I have heard of, it is a
>>> Parker Filtration Model RP FR-1004CSS. I searched high and low in the
land
>>> of Google but could not find anything; the closest I found was an Air
Gap
>>> that was for a different model number. I wonder if this is a type of AMD
>>> but
>>> is not actually listed for fire sprinkler use and that the problems in
the
>>> dry system is not the valves or the other AMD but is in fact this
>>> off-brand
>>> type.
>>>
>>> What says the community ?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sean Lockyer
>>> Project Designer
>>> Delta Fire Sprinklers
>>> (407) 328-3000, ext 139
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>>> [email protected]
>>> http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>>>
>>> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>>>
>>> To Unsubscribe, send an email
to:[email protected]
>>> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>>
>> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>>
>> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
>> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Ron Greenman
> Instructor
> Fire Protection Engineering Technology
> Bates Technical College
> 1101 So. Yakima Ave.
> Tacoma, WA 98405
>
> [email protected]
>
> http://www.bates.ctc.edu/fireprotection/
>
> 253.680.7346
> 253.576.9700 (cell)
>
> Member:
> ASEE, SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, AFSA, NFSA, AFAA, NIBS, WSAFM, WFC
>
> They are happy men whose natures sort with their vocations. -Francis
> Bacon, essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)
>



-- 
Ron Greenman
Instructor
Fire Protection Engineering Technology
Bates Technical College
1101 So. Yakima Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98405

[email protected]

http://www.bates.ctc.edu/fireprotection/

253.680.7346
253.576.9700 (cell)

Member:
ASEE, SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, AFSA, NFSA, AFAA, NIBS, WSAFM, WFC

They are happy men whose natures sort with their vocations. -Francis
Bacon, essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to