I thought "Snakes on a Plane" was going to be about terrorists hijacking a
plane full of lawyers on their way to a lawyer convention on a resort island
(paid for from the money they "earned" suing people over stuff like this),
and then driving the terrorists so crazy cutting back-room deals that the
hijackers crash the plane into the sea just to shut them up. I was
disappointed! So liability....not my favorite subject. It's the "partial"
that bothers me. It says if you don't need it then you can do what you want
as long as the "do" meets the code. Does that mean "fully" is the keyword
inb the code that negates "partial" or does it mean that the partial part
has to be constructed per the code? My logic (questionable) tends towards
the latter when I look at something from an overall Building Code
standpoint. A lawyer though will , if defending the latter, see it that way
while his opponent will argue the former. Winning trumos all. As George
always says: Follow your comfort level for risk. Anything that makes anyone
else unhappy is an opportunity. I think when nothing is required partial is
OK legally. I also think it's a bad idea, mostly because it suggests more
than it can deliver, but also because it seems like a harder decision to
defend if something goes south. I'd write a statement for inclusion in the
contract documents disagreeing with the wisdom of a partial system, with
reasons, and then do what I'm contracted to do. For the same reason I have
always had a disclaimer regarding 13D & 13R systems a being only about life
safety and what that means, with an additional instruction to the GC to get
this to the owner in case I don't have direct access.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Todd Williams <[email protected]> wrote:

> The exception in section 901.2 of the IBC (2003) states: "Exception: Any
> fire protection system or portion thereof not required by this code shall be
> permitted to be installed for partial or complete protection provided that
> such system meets the requirements of this code."  Does this mean that an
> Architect/Owner can pick and chose what the wants to protect if the system
> is not required? Anybody dealt with this from a liability standpoint?
>
> Todd G. Williams, PE
> Fire Protection Design/Consulting
> Stonington, CT
> 860.535.2080
> www.fpdc.com
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>
> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>



-- 
Ron Greenman
Instructor
Fire Protection Engineering Technology
Bates Technical College
1101 So. Yakima Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98405

[email protected]

http://www.bates.ctc.edu/fireprotection/

253.680.7346
253.576.9700 (cell)

Member:
ASEE, SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, AFSA, NFSA, AFAA, NIBS, WSAFM, WFC

They are happy men whose natures sort with their vocations. -Francis Bacon,
essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to