As I bill out yet another frozen pipe repair, I am wondering why there is not 
any input from the sprinkler trade concerning insulation methods to prevent 
frozen pipes.  

We had a motel that had a problem with frozen pipes. The owner had the blown-in 
insulation removed. The pipes were repaired and the pipes tented with plastic 
and then insulation blown in. No problems for 5 years. 

We have a facility that had the attic piping protected by tenting plastic over 
the pipes, then insulation blown in.  After 20 + years, we have had no problems 
with frozen pipes. 

Another facility has insulation batts under the pitched roof.  The pipes are in 
the warm attic and after 10 years, we have had no problems with frozen pipes.

I have no idea what the insulation costs are in new construtcion,  but I am 
sure not as much in repairing busted pipes,  not to mention ruined ceilings, 
damaged goods and stocks.  

Then there are those building with the large ventilation louvers in the gable 
ends.  The wind blows in and moves the insulation, exposing the piping.

I am done, I will save my comments about Schedule 5 and 10 for another time.  

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/private/sprinklerforum/attachments/20120106/5a050cff/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

Reply via email to