From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Thompson, Pat
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:47 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: k -- WHAT?

K factor as applied in our industry is a coefficient for a smooth bore orifice.

I am not aware of how this could be applied to a hose valve since it is not a
smooth bore orifice, but I can offer some input from fire department
hydraulics: GPM (Q) = (29.7*diameter squared)*square root of pressure. This is
the formula applied by fire departments in their field applications. This does
not apply to fog or adjustable nozzles.

29.7 is a constant, diameter is the diameter of the smooth bore orifice -
combined these numbers result in a 'k' value for the orifice. Manufacturers of
sprinklers have done this calculation for us and conveniently provide the value
for us to plug into our familiar K,Q,P formula to determine GPM and pressure.

I believe the 29.7 constant is a rounded number; but it should be close enough
to give a fairly accurate result.

Pat Thompson
Special Hazard Sales
NICET #101475