To: <sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:25 PM
Subject: Stupid closet question...

It's likely been asked before, but I don't recall - so please excuse my
possible ignorance!

NFPA 13, 2010 - 8.15.8.2 Dwelling units, closets - hotels and motels
they can be deleted, conditionally regarding the 24sf and 3ft rule.

Annex D (Pulled from NFPA 101) in two separate areas (D1.1.6.1 &
D2.19.2.1) states that closets under 12sf in dwelling units shall not be
required to be sprinklered.  The referenced 101 code is stated there as
well...

I'm looking at it that the paragraphs of 101 referencing closets under
12sf in dwelling units permits the omitting of sprinklers within these
closets.  (Not any with equipment of course).  There are some others
here that disagree, stating that since 13 addresses it, 101 isn't
applicable and that heads are required in the closets period.

Anyone else have this kind of throw down in your offices?