NFPA 13:8.15.1.2 (2010 edition) states that "Concealed spaces of noncombustible
and limited-combustible construction with limited access and not permitting
occupancy or storage of combustibles shall not require sprinkler protection."
Consider a masonry building with a metal roof deck, but the deck is sprayed
with a foam material that functions as an air barrier.  The spray foam is
exposed to view and doesn't meet the definition of limited-combustible at NFPA
13:3.3.13 because the potential heat value is greater than 3500 Btu/lb.

The construction itself is noncombustible, but the surface exposed to view is
combustible.  I'm pretty comfortable that the intent of NFPA 13 is that this
space would need to be sprinklered, but would welcome either concurrence with
that thought or an explanation of where I've gone astray. The answer to this
potentially drives whether or not a fire pump is required and obviously has
cost implications.  Thanks in advance for any opinions.  Sincerely,

Christopher H. Born, P.E.
Director, Fire Protection Engineering
Clark Nexsen, P.C.
Norfolk, VA