From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Chris Born
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 5:51 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Question about concealed spaces

NFPA 13:8.15.1.2 (2010 edition) states that "Concealed spaces of
noncombustible and limited-combustible construction with limited access and
not permitting occupancy or storage of combustibles shall not require
sprinkler protection."  Consider a masonry building with a metal roof deck,
but the deck is sprayed with a foam material that functions as an air
barrier.  The spray foam is exposed to view and doesn't meet the definition
of limited-combustible at NFPA 13:3.3.13 because the potential heat value is
greater than 3500 Btu/lb.

The construction itself is noncombustible, but the surface exposed to view
is combustible.  I'm pretty comfortable that the intent of NFPA 13 is that
this space would need to be sprinklered, but would welcome either
concurrence with that thought or an explanation of where I've gone astray.
The answer to this potentially drives whether or not a fire pump is required
and obviously has cost implications.  Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Sincerely,

Christopher H. Born, P.E.
Director, Fire Protection Engineering
Clark Nexsen, P.C.