From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of AKS-Gmail-IMAP
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:16 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: Window sprinklers

>From what I understand Tyco was not invited to the hearings for the proposed
>changes and the rug was pulled out from under them in regard to the Tyco WS
>sprinkler for 1hr and 2hr equivalency. This is a big deal that has yet to hit
>the fan so to speak now that atrium like spaces seem to be latest
>architectural rage.

I do believe vertical mullions are obstructions in the Tyco WS installation
requirements. The idea to center the WS on a vertical mullion is also nixed in
their installation requirement. Sprinklers at atrium glass is still a permitted
exception in IBC 404.6 and the wording, "The sprinkler system shall be designed
so that the entire surface of the glass is wet upon activation of the sprinkler
system without obstruction" , does not leave any room for a challenge to a
creative idea that gets water to bend around a mullion. You'll have two
sprinklers per side at that window pair and you'll have a sprinkler baffle
between them because they will be less than 6 feet apart. Good luck convincing
the architect the real ramifications of what that will look like if they do not
have a construction detail aptitude.

Allan Seidel
St. Louis, MO