I would rather not leave it up to someone to tell me where it would be required, what with sink holes swallowing men as they sleep, and as the reward for a nice drive hitting the fairway (the increase in fracing and the New Madrid fault, etc). I would rather keep it almost as simple as planning that a fire could happen anywhere any time. I should have put "I think" in quotes :)

Quoting Chris Born <fireph...@cox.net>:

That is a consideration, but that is one of the factors that is evaluated to determine the seismic design category. This is not an area that the average sprinkler contractor or designer should generally have to deal with or determine.

As long as someone has determined the seismic design category, preferably a licensed structural engineer, the sprinkler contractor/designer should be clear of any determination as to whether seismic protection is required. If its seismic design category A or B, no seismic protection. Is required, C and above, seismic protection is required. If C, ASCE 7 acknowledges that compliance with NFPA 13 is adequate, D or above, I believe determination of loads, etc., gets more involved,

Christopher Born, P.E.
Clark Nexsen
Norfolk, VA

Sent from my iPad