Hello Forest,
I did see the original discussions but I didn't think that it applied in my
case. That discussion was geared more towards determining the appropriate
commodity classification for household waste. I am pretty comfortable with the
commodity classification for the materials stored in the building in question
(Class III) but I found no guidelines for the appropriate density/design area
for the storage of Class III commodities in bulk ("loose-piled") to a height of
about 25 ft. Many people that I have talked to refer to the criteria in NFPA
13 for solid-piled storage which is definitely not correct.
Thanks for your input.
David
-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Forest
Wilson Fire Sprinkler Comtractor
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 11:37 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Sprinkler protection criteria for bulk storage piles
This topic was addressed about a month ago on the Forum.
The consensus was that it was outside the scope of NFPA 13 and that the
Engineer of Record should be consulted
Sent from my Galaxy S®III
-------- Original message --------
From: David Bitton <[email protected]>
Date: 09/30/2013 7:56 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: [email protected]
Subject: Sprinkler protection criteria for bulk storage piles
I am looking at a recycling facility for construction debris that has large
indoor piles for wood, asphalt shingles, etc. Storage height is to 25 ft.
The existing sprinkler system was designed based on the storage requirements
for solid-piled/palletized storage of Class III Commodities outlined in NFPA
13. I believe that such storage falls outside the scope of this chapter.
However, I am unable to find any guidance elsewhere to address this storage.
Does anyone have any additional thoughts about the protection of such piles?
David Bitton, ing.
Quest Loss Control Services Inc.
Les services de prévention des sinistres Quest inc.
5100, rue de la Savane, bureau 200
Montréal, QC H4P 1T8
(514) 341-4545
www.questlosscontrol.com
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org