Maybe I am missing something, but when they do a full scale fire test, doesn't 
the first head that opens operate in that condition?

Todd G Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, CT
www.fpdc.com
860-535-2080 (ofc)

> On May 22, 2014, at 1:26 PM, John Denhardt <[email protected]> 
> wrote:
> 
> FWIW - A few cycles ago, NFPA 13 was modified to limit pressure at the 
> sprinkler to 175psig for storage and extra hazard occupancies . 
> 
> John
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] 
> On Behalf Of Cahill, Christopher
> Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:05 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: Overpressurizing Heads
> 
> The fire goes out with 1-3 heads is the answer.  I hear you in that is a 
> great question I have thought of many times. Success rate of sprinklers tells 
> us not to worry.  I think the better question is to focus on the high 
> challenge fires like high piled storage where drop size is more important. I 
> wonder with a 20 psi EFSR that sees 80 psi?  Correct me if I'm wrong but all 
> the testing labs control the sprinkler pressure at the head to the minimum 
> required during the fire tests?  For example has there ever been a test with 
> a 120 psi pump with pipe sized as it would be in the field so the first head 
> sees basically 120 - elevation?
> 
> Chris Cahill, PE*
> Associate Fire Protection Engineer
> Burns & McDonnell
> Phone:  952.656.3652
> Fax:  952.229.2923
> [email protected]
> www.burnsmcd.com
> *Registered in: MN
> 
> 
> Proud to be #14 on FORTUNE's 2014 List of 100 Best Companies to Work For
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] 
> On Behalf Of Richard Mote
> Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:38 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: Area/Density Method and Walls
> 
> HydraCALC has a box you can check on the calculation menu for doing a source 
> calc. That brings up a question I have been asking for years. I know from 
> direct observation when I was testing sprinklers for Star that increases in 
> pressure can materially affect droplet size and distribution pattern. If we 
> have a system designed to work a 50 psi @ 250 gpm. What happens to the spray 
> pattern and droplet size when the fire department come along and starts 
> pumping 500gpm @ 100 psi into the system. Part of the reason for the minimum 
> pressure requirements for Residential sprinklers is that, that was the 
> minimum pressure required to pass all the UL testing. If you do the math the 
> pressure required does not always matchup with sqrt of P = Q/K. So what 
> happens to the distribution and droplet size when you install residential 
> sprinkler in residential portions of a 13 occupancy and give it two or three 
> times the minimum starting pressure.
> 
> 
> Richard Mote ET
> Designer
> Rowe Sprinkler Systems, Inc.
> PO Box 407
> Middleburg, PA 17842
> P- 877-324-ROWE
> F- 570-937-6335
> [email protected]
> www.rowesprinkler.com
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] 
> On Behalf Of Steve Leyton
> Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 11:09 AM
> To: [email protected]; [email protected]
> Subject: RE: Area/Density Method and Walls
> 
> I think most software can do that.  We've been using FPE for a long while and 
> the software has a toggle feature between "Demand" and "Supply" calculations. 
>   The later being a model of system performance at 0 psi remaining at Source.
> 
> SL
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] 
> On Behalf Of [email protected]
> Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 7:38 AM
> To: [email protected]; [email protected]
> Subject: RE: Area/Density Method and Walls
> 
> I don't know if Hydracad or SprinkCad has the same option as HASS but HASS 
> puts out a secondary calc called Full Flow.  We looked at this and were a bit 
> surprised of the results.  Basically when we calculate a system all we are 
> doing is proving that we can achieve the required minimum flow and pressure 
> within the hydraulically remote area.  When you're done you end up with a 
> comparison of REQUIRED versus AVAILABLE pressure and flow.  AS long as the 
> REQUIRED is less than the AVAILABLE all is good.
> 
> What you don't see is what actually could be discharged based on the ACTUAL 
> pressure and flow.  For example if you have a 250 gpm sprinkler demand with a 
> required BOR pressure of 50 psi and the water supply can provide 1000 gpm at 
> 125 psi, your FULL FLOW conditions will discharge MUCH more than the 250 
> minimum required.   
> 
> So when there is a robust water supply your LH system can easily discharge 
> rates closer to an EH system.   
> 
> Also consider the statistical data of most fires being controlled by one to 
> three sprinklers and we're calculating more than that so you can see where 
> the difference between physics and reality come into play.
> 
> Craig L. Prahl, CET   
> Fire Protection Group Lead
> CH2MHILL
> Lockwood Greene
> 1500 International Drive
> Spartanburg, SC  29303
> Direct - 864.599.4102
> Fax - 864.599.8439
> CH2MHILL Extension  74102
> [email protected]
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] 
> On Behalf Of Brad Casterline
> Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:54 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: Area/Density Method and Walls
> 
> "The designed system has little to do with physics or reality."
> 
> Roland, I did not want to take your statement out of context completely, 
> because I know how much that hurts sometimes, so I did not trim this thread.
> 
> I am always trying to quantify things as best I can so here is my shot:
> 
> At the time calculations were being accepted into NFPA 13 the 'reality' was 
> that pipe scheduled systems had worked for 90 years.
> In order for proposed changes to be accepted (then and now I guess) an 
> equivalency of some sort had to be shown, and that is where the 'physics'
> came in, along these lines: given a certain water supply, what flows will a 
> scheduled system produce? Now, for the sake of economy, how much can we beef 
> it up here and slim it down there and still get equivalent results; mix a 
> little fluid mechanics theory with a lot of water flow measurements and...
> BOOM! the density/area curves where born.
> 
> So calculated systems using the density/area curves are nothing more than 
> reconfigured pipe scheduled systems at their roots.
> 
> This is just my current understanding, and if it is mostly correct, it makes 
> real and perfect physical sense (to me anyway) ;)
> 
> Brad Casterline, SET
> 
> ps- I think calcs were a quantum leap in fire sprinkler design, and I think 
> the future WILL involve 'fire having something to do with it'.
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Brad Casterline [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:12 PM
> To: 'Roland Huggins'; 'SprinklerFORUM'
> Subject: RE: Area/Density Method and Walls
> 
> Three people took NFPA 13 from pipe scheduled to calculated:
> Jack Wood, Lin McCool, and Hasu Doshi.
> The Density/Area Curves "had nothing to do with fire" according to Hasu, the 
> only one of the three still alive.
> The calculations were performed to see if they could get mains from 8" to 6"
> by making the lines a little bigger and still get the same total flow.
> So Chris, if you were pipe scheduling your set-up you would ignore the walls, 
> right? So there is your answer.
> When I said I would consider any barrier I mean I would see in full color 3D 
> the flames and smoke and sprinkler spray of what I think would probably 
> happen, but what I would calc and print and walk the 40 feet to where my 
> supervising FPE of ~35 years, Hasu Doshi, is, I will have ignored the walls.
> Hope that helps Cecil.
> 
> Brad Casterline
> Designer Member, AFSA
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Roland Huggins [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:41 AM
> To: SprinklerFORUM
> Subject: Re: Area/Density Method and Walls
> 
> Actually a good question.
> 
> Generally speaking you ignore the walls (exception the room design of course 
> and others like small systems where you simply add additional water to the 
> calc).  The designed system has little to do with physics or reality.  I've 
> yet to see a pendent sprinkler discharge water in a 10X13 rectangle, the 
> amount of water hitting the flow is NOT equal to the assigned density (even 
> IF it did flow uniformly throughout the pattern which it doesn't), friction 
> loss through fittings is not well accounted for from an academic standpoint, 
> if you move the sprinkler an additional 6" off a wall it will greatly 
> increase the required pressure but do you think it will really affect the 
> performance, unbounded fires do burn in a relative circle but the design as 
> never been based on that etc etc.  The reality of the design is that it is a 
> well defined process whereby different people get relatively similar results 
> AND IT WORKS to control the fire.
> 
> As such, for a new design, the approach ensures that a fire located anywhere 
> will be controlled by assigning the remote area in the most hydraulically 
> demanding location regardless of walls.  When modifying a system, you will 
> not find anything that relaxes this conservative approach.  So if you are 
> looking for a get out of jail card, get comfortably because you're staying in 
> jail.  Now as an engineer evaluating a modification, one could challenge the 
> conventions of the standard and I believe still have an adequate system.
> If one is thinking to avoid lawsuits, don't be an engineer (or contractor for 
> that matter).  I know of a case where the building burned down and the 
> control valve was known to be closed and RECORDED as such for 6 months before 
> the fire.The contractor is still being sued - UFB.
> 
> Somewhat what Cecil said with a touch of my opinion that is not I say not 
> (think of the big chicken from Looney Tunes Foghorn Leghorn pronouncing
> that) to be considered an interpretation for NFPA 13 or any other NFPA 
> standard (with a few less THE's).
> 
> Roland Huggins, PE - VP Engineering
> American Fire Sprinkler Assn.       ---      Fire Sprinklers Saves Lives
> Dallas, TX
> http://www.firesprinkler.org
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On May 20, 2014, at 5:12 PM, Cahill, Christopher <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> 
>> I can't believe I'm asking this question after all these years.  
>> Anyway,
> swallowing pride and asking.
>> 
>> 2010 NFPA 13 strict Density/Area method 11.2.3.2 and 22.4.4.1.1.  
>> Great
> big room being subdivided. Existing system with a new wall added between 
> heads on a BL.  Contractor had to add a head on one side to preserve the 
> existing spacing (area) of the heads.  Without head over 130 sq.ft.  I take 
> the 1.2 ^.5 of the area and get 46.5' required along the BL.  Original system 
> lets say calc'd 5 heads on the BL.  But now in the same 46.5' there are 6 
> heads on the BL.  Do I ignore the wall and require a new calc?  What if the 
> wall is rated 1 hour do I ignore it?
>> 
>> I looked all over and can't seem to find anything definitive. Room 
>> design
> is out so not a consideration.  22.4.4.1.1.1 simply says all the heads in the 
> 46.5'.  I can't find anything that says either to count the wall as a break 
> so measure 46.5' from the wall in each direction and still see if there are 5 
> head or ignore it and there are now 6 heads.  I find 11.1.2 that clarifies to 
> extend the density or not.  I don't think that's applicable exactly. The 
> question is not about whether to extend the density on either side. Let's 
> just say it's all OH.
>> 
>> It gets a little more complex as on the one side of the wall they cut 
>> a
> head in on the BL but on the other side there is a perpendicular new wall and 
> they come off same BL and arm over to two more head so if I ignore the walls 
> there are now 8 heads off the 1 BL.
>> 
>> Prefer a code section or written reference 'cuz this is going to be a 
>> big
> deal if we ignore the walls.  Ordinarily with unrated walls they are ignored 
> in density/area (of course can't find that reference).  I think I'm getting 
> tripped up with the rated portion? Or maybe I'm just tired????
>> 
>> Chris Cahill, PE*
>> Associate Fire Protection Engineer
>> Burns & McDonnell
>> Phone:  952.656.3652
>> Fax:  952.229.2923
>> [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
>> www.burnsmcd.com<http://www.burnsmcd.com/>
>> *Registered in: MN
>> 
>> 
>> Proud to be #14 on FORTUNE's 2014 List of 100 Best Companies to Work 
>> For
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to