We have a project that is using TJI wood joist (composite wood Joists), they
are 16” deep spaces 18” on center and are 20’ long. There is gypsum board
attached directly to the bottom of the joists along with 3” of insulation at
the bottom to reduce sound transmission. The area is about 1400 sq.ft.

Reference is NFPA #13 2013 edition section 11.2.3.1.4(4)(j)

Light or ordinary hazard occupancies where noncombustible or limited
combustible ceilings are attached to the bottom of composite wood joists
either directly or on to metal channels not exceeding 1” in depth, provided
the adjacent joist space channels are firestopped into volumes not exceeding
160 cubic feet using materials equivalent to ½” gypsum board and at least 3
½” of batt insulation is installed at the bottom of the joist channels when
the ceiling is attached utilizing metal channels.

If each channel space formed by two joist is 40 cubic feet, so the adjacent
space is 40 cubic feet, I see no need to fire stop them into volumes less
than 160 cubic feet as they are already less than 160. The AHJ is saying
that we must firestop every 4th joist space with gypsum to create spaces of
160 cubic feet, so we would need to break the space into 12 spaces of 160
cubic feet for the 1400 sq ft area.

Am I reading this correctly or do we need to break the space into sections
of 160 cubic feet?

Thank you

James Crawford

Phaser Fire Protection Ltd.