Allow me a bit of a long winded response instead of a simple yes or no.

First off, although your question is not about whether you can omit sprinklers
but whether you have to have a 3,000 sf remote area (not stated but understood
since you are referencing chap 11), let’s start in 8.15.1.2.6 that allow the
omission.  It states - the joist channels are firestopped into volumes EACH not
exceeding 160 cu ft.  Obviously the volume is per individual channel.  Now
jumping to 11.2.3.1.4(4)(j) it states - provide the adjacent joist space
channels are firestopped into volumes not exceeding 160 cubic feet.  I could
stop here but the coffee is kicking in.  IF it were meant to be a single
channel, the text would have been copied as stated in 8.15.1.2.6.  Stating
“adjacent channels” when read without the preconception from 8.15 is pretty
plain but it was known that the per channel was well ingrained so Annex
material was provided.  It states - restrict the ability for fire to spread
beyond 160 cu ft zones covering MULTIPLE joist channels.

Prior to the 2010 edition, you ALWAYS had to use a 3,000 sf remote area with
unprotected spaces of composite wood joists.  By breaking the overall space
into volumes of NMT 160 cu ft, it presents a similar risk that that of solid
wood joists with bigger individual channels.  For our sprinkler scientist, yes
it is a slightly bigger risk since TJI's burn more vigorously and fail more
quickly than solid wood joist (thus the prior difference) but for driving the
need for a bigger remote area, the difference is insignificant.

Roland

Roland Huggins, PE - VP Engineering
American Fire Sprinkler Assn.       ---      Fire Sprinklers Saves Lives
Dallas, TX
http://www.firesprinkler.org <http://www.firesprinkler.org/>