we are in complete agreement on you latest statement (below).

In your originally question though, weren’t you questioning whether or not ch
11 applied to a single joist channel or multiple channels.  In other words, you
were asking if the AHJ was wrong in requiring every 4th channel to be
firestopped.  The only one that doesn’t occasionally go left instead of right
are those that don’t do anything.  Good question.

On a related note, the firestopping should run parallel to the joists verse
being perpendicular to them (provided a single channels isn’t greater than 160
cu ft.  IF they are firestopping i required for BOTH parallel and perpendicular.

Roland Huggins, PE - VP Engineering
American Fire Sprinkler Assn.       ---      Fire Sprinklers Saves Lives
Dallas, TX
http://www.firesprinkler.org <http://www.firesprinkler.org/>