Ben-
I don't see on the data sheet where it requires baffles on the back side of the 
SD heads, can you point me in the right direction?

Brian Harris, CET
BVS Systems Inc.
bvssytemsinc.com


-----Original Message-----
From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] On 
Behalf Of Ben Young
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 12:56 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Attic Heads

Avoid HIPs and SDs like the plague.
If you go down the sides of the hip with SDs and then backfill with APs you 
have to install baffles on the backside of the SD.

Your best bet is just to always use APs across the entire hip area, especially 
with the new hip rule added to the 2016 edition of NFPA 13.
Hopefully this will eventually get added to the attic head datasheet.

I got suckered into using SDs on an offset and it was a nightmare.  But yeah, 
HIPs are basically no good anymore.  I haven't used any in about 12 years and 
for some reason I design a lot of attic systems...


Benjamin Young

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Brian Harris <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I'm working on an attic system using the Tyco attic heads and was 
> wondering if it's "normal" to use SD heads from the Ridge halfway down 
> the Hip and then use the HIP sprinklers starting where the trusses run 
> perpendicular to the outside wall? I don't do a whole lot of wood 
> buildings and this is the first time I've seen the trusses change 
> direction half way down the Hip instead of at the Ridge, not really an 
> example of it in the Tyco data sheets.
>
> Brian Harris, CET
> BVS Systems Inc.
> Sprinkler Division
> bvssystemsinc.com<http://bvssystemsinc.com/>
> Phone: 704.896.9989
> Fax: 704.896.1935
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
>
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkl
> er.org
>
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to