I'm going to cross from application of current standards to comment on 
standards.

I've seen 13-D, and 13-R, operate a number of times well outside original 
design criteria, and alway successfully. By successful, living spaces stayed 
survivable. There may have been considerable fire outside the unit, and attic 
may have been fully involved. 

I wonder where water source is municipal, effectively unlimited, source we 
should just accept that some times the clothes washer or lawn sprinklers are 
on. 

Are a flow switch and 120V alarm, installed, cheaper than $600?



> On Aug 3, 2016, at 15:02, Bruce Verhei <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> I sure wouldn't want a solenoid valve cutoff, listed or not.
> 
> When the grid is down I still enjoy the use of modern plumbing supplied by a 
> municipal water system.  Take it away every time power is off for a day or 
> two and solenoid valve would be disabled or removed by owners.
> 
> Mechanical valve is best for a reason.
> 
> Best
> 
> Bruce Verhei
> 
>> On Aug 3, 2016, at 11:25, <[email protected]> <[email protected]> 
>> wrote:
>> 
>> Or use a solenoid valve that is energized open and let the flow switch break 
>> the circuit. If/when the valve fails, it will get fixed.
>>  
>> Mark at Aero
>> 602 820-7894
>>  
>> From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] 
>> On Behalf Of Steve Leyton
>> Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 10:57 AM
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: RE: Solenoid Valve for domestic side of 13D system riser
>>  
>> What’s easier, more cost-effective and (most important) more failsafe and 
>> reliable in light of the fact that this product will NEVER be ITM’d after 
>> it’s installed?    I assume you’re designing to an undersized meter.  Either 
>> get relief from the water agency to add the 5 GPM to the intermittent flow 
>> rate of the sprinklers (as opposed to the continuous flow for which the 
>> meter is rated) or have the owner bite the bullet and buy a larger meter?
>>  
>> I’m sure there are people who will disagree with me, but relying on an 
>> electrical device that is not subject to regular exercise or inspection 
>> isn’t my idea of reliable.
>>  
>> SL
>>  
>> From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] 
>> On Behalf Of Owen Evans
>> Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 10:45 AM
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: Solenoid Valve for domestic side of 13D system riser
>>  
>> Hi Don,
>>  
>> Thanks for responding. I checked out the RSV-1 from Tyco and the list price 
>> is $1,000.00. I about fell out of my chair. It is on the sprinkler riser 
>> with a branch off to the domestic. When fire sprinklers flow the pressure 
>> change causes the valve to shut off the domestic. It is non-electric, maybe 
>> that is why it is so expensive. It has been years but the one I have seen 
>> was a simple solenoid valve that is attached to the domestic water and 
>> simply closes when it receives an electric current from the activated flow 
>> switch.  HELP anybody!
>>  
>> Owen Evans
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Don Casey <[email protected]>
>> To: sprinklerforum <[email protected]>
>> Sent: Wed, Aug 3, 2016 10:20 am
>> Subject: RE: Solenoid Valve for domestic side of 13D system riser
>> 
>> Check out Tyco’s RSV-1 valve
>>  
>> From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] 
>> On Behalf Of Owen Evans
>> Sent: 2016/08/03 1:17 PM
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Solenoid Valve for domestic side of 13D system riser
>>  
>> Hello Folks,
>>  
>> Anybody have a source in southern California where I can get a 1" electric 
>> solenoid valve to shut off domestic flow (activated by the flow switch)? 
>> This is so I can eliminate the 5 gpm from the 13D calculations.
>>  
>> Thank you,
>> Owen Evans
>> _______________________________________________
>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
>> _______________________________________________
>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to