Building contents from NFPA 13, Chapter 5:
.Quantity.
.Combustibility.
.Heat Release Rate.

What Edition? It doesn't matter in our lifetimes so far-- it says the same
thing cycle after cycle.

We designers don't need numbers for these things to do our job and like
Bill Brooks says, "13 is a rule book not a how to book".
Good thing most of the other chapters have numbers for rules.

After scratching my head for several years I have some personally
satisfying numbers for Quantity and Heat Release Rate, and after doing
Tim's Christmas Trees I am getting there on Combustibility.

:) Brad ;) Casterline :)
On Sep 7, 2016 6:49 PM, "Brad Casterline" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just to be clear, I ADDED the cigarettes, to simulate Bruce's embers.
>
> And Roland, anytime you want to declare 'dead horse', I will oblige.
> On Sep 7, 2016 6:23 PM, "Brad Casterline" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I put about a thousand lit cigarettes in, on, and around the trees.
>> Apparently it is harder to light fairly fresh vegetation than say, a
>> cardboard case of styrofoam coffee cups in the office break room.
>> On Sep 7, 2016 2:25 AM, "Brad Casterline" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> My pleasure Bruce, thank you for the feedback.
>>>
>>> I looked at quite a bit of literaure on 'moisture content of fresh cut
>>> Christmas Trees'. It looked liked 114% was common. The NIST input file I
>>> used was showing 112.3, so I left it alone. In fact I did not change
>>> anything about the trees.
>>>
>>> The ember question is excellent!
>>> I will make some embers and let them fly all over the place. They will
>>> be like the 'ignitor' particles shown in the partial input file except
>>> STATIC=.FALSE.
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>>
>>> Brad
>>> On Sep 6, 2016 11:23 PM, "Bruce Verhei" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Brad
>>>>
>>>> Thank for the rational analysis. How did you arrive how much water the
>>>> trees had on board? They start off quite dry and take up quite a bit of
>>>> water the first day or two.
>>>>
>>>> Experience says that trees throw off embers and are ignited by same,
>>>> especially if being pre-heated. I would be leery of a convection and
>>>> radiant heat model covering this adequately.
>>>>
>>>> Best
>>>>
>>>> Bruce Verhei
>>>>
>>>> On Sep 6, 2016, at 07:01, Brad Casterline <[email protected]>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/jri62zfn4zvulia/Tim%27s%20Trees.pdf?dl=0
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> For what it is worth!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for the excellent sprinkler challenge Tim!!!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> *Brad Casterline, NICET IV*
>>>>
>>>> *Fire Protection Division*
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> *FSC, Inc.*
>>>>
>>>> P: 913-722-3473
>>>>
>>>> [email protected]
>>>>
>>>> www.fsc-inc.com
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> *Engineering Solutions for the Built Environment*
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>>>> [email protected]
>>>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-f
>>>> iresprinkler.org
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>>>> [email protected]
>>>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-f
>>>> iresprinkler.org
>>>>
>>>>
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to