I often get too excited and blurt things out and reply to myself several
times with corrections and clarifications, like now:
1) I have done a lot of standpipe calcs and I use K=Q/SQRT (P) just like
everyone has said here, and I use equivalent length for the valve=31 ft.
2) What I mean by K Value should be more useful than K Factor is, for
instance, at 250 GPM eql.=23.65 ft and at 500 GPM it is 26.24 ft.
Just another example of the excellence of the NFPA Standards as standards.
And if you are pitoting a 2.5" hose valve to estimate the GPM as if it were
a hydrant butt, if my concept of K Value is correct, C=.61 should be
'decent'.
3) Coefficient of Discharge = actual measured / ideal, and that is always
less than 1.

Brad
On Feb 17, 2017 5:19 PM, "Brad Casterline" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Shazbot!
> 2g=64.4
> (62.4 is the weight in pounds of a cubic foot of water).
> On Feb 17, 2017 5:05 PM, "Brad Casterline" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Vince,
>>
>> I think you are looking for something with a little more meat on its
>> bones than rearranging Q=K*SQRT(P). A few years ago you mentioned K Value.
>> Counselor Greenman presented this evidence:
>>
>> http://www.metropumps.com/ResourcesFrictionLossData.pdf
>>
>> The first item is Angle Valve, which might be close enough to Hose Valve,
>> but the problem is the second item is also Angle Valve with a different
>> value and I saw no clarification of what's what with that. But when Steve L
>> testified to 3-5 psi loss at 250 gpm I rearanged and I think the second one
>> is correct; K Value=2.7- - -
>>
>> Using the 5 psi loss, hf=11.55 ft.
>> I converted 250 gpm to .557 ft^3/sec and 2.5" nominal to .034 ft^2 and
>> dividing the first by the second got v= 16.38 ft/sec, squared that, divided
>> by 2g (62.4), and then divided 11.55 by that for K Value = 2.77.
>> This should be more useful for you because friction head is directly
>> proportional to the square of the velocity, and K Value is a counter part
>> of Coefficient of Discharge in that C of D = the ideal world based on
>> nominal / the reality of the measurement.
>>
>> still yours after forty years, your first grasshopper,
>>
>> Brad
>> On Feb 17, 2017 8:28 AM, "Vince Sabolik" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Good morning, everyone...
>>>
>>> Does anybody have a decent K Factor for a 2½" hose valve?
>>>
>>> Thanks!      Vince
>>>
>>> 11351 Pearl Road /  Suite 101
>>> Strongsville, Ohio 44136
>>> Phone 440 238-4800 <(440)%20238-4800> Fax 440 238-4876
>>> <(440)%20238-4876> Cell 440 724-7601 <(440)%20724-7601>
>>>
>>>
>>> * Vince Sabolik *
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>>> [email protected]
>>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-f
>>> iresprinkler.org
>>>
>>>
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to