A water curtain is for a vertical opening not a horizontal. Why do they think 
this opening needs to be protected?

We have limited information but I do not think any addition protection would be 
required because there is an opening in these walls. I cannot find any special 
requirements in 13 for horizontal openings, only vertical.

Ryan Labrie
Fire Protection Designer

Critical System Solutions, LLC
2830 Scherer Drive, Suite 300
St. Petersburg, FL  33716
Office: 727.209.5122
Fax:      727.209.5126
Cell:     813.394.3978
Email:  
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>

[cid:[email protected]]

From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] On 
Behalf Of [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:54 AM
To: Sprinkler Forum <[email protected]>
Subject: Water curtain for wall opening

I have been asked to look at a situation in an industrial occupancy where there 
are two garage -door size horizontal openings in a wall. The openings cannot 
realistically be closed, so they are asking about a water curtain. I have a 
couple of questions: First, NFPA 13 discusses water curtains around vertical 
openings but not horizontal, from what i found. Am i missing something?
Second, the ceiling is approximately 12 ft above the top of the openings. The 
sprinklers need to be 12" from the deck max. Will that vertical distance create 
an issue with the water curtain performance.

Todd G Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, CT
860-535-2080<tel:860-535-2080> (ofc)
860-553-3553<tel:860-553-3553> (fax)
860-608-4559<tel:860-608-4559> (cell)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to