Flame retardant coatings has to be installed according to strict guidelines
and the thickness of the coating needs to be verified after installation. Tends
to be expensive. Most projects I have worked on have junked that idea for that
reason.

> On Feb 10, 2021 at 10:34 AM,  <tstone52--- via Sprinklerforum
> (mailto:sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org)>  wrote:
>

>  Project is a 100 year old 6 story Steel  &  Concrete Hotel building. The
> roof is steel framed with concrete above and the Sixth floor ceiling is
> Plaster over metal lath. Over the years the building has been added onto with
> wood framing above the Sixth floor ceilings. As Part of a major renovation
> started in 2020, the installation of a complete NFPA 13 sprinkler system and
> Standpipes is taking place. A few substantial combustible concealed spaces
> have been discovered throughout the building on other floors too. If nothing
> is done the sprinkler design areas would need to be increased to 3,000 SF as
> outlined in Chapter 11.2.3.1.5. The sprinkler contractor and I have suggested
> filling these spaces with noncombustible Insulation. The architect and
> builder are discussing Flame Retardant Coating to be applied to the wood
> framing in order meet the Non-Combustible and Limited Combustible concealed
> space definition. In reviewing Chapter 11.2.3.1.5.2 I don't see where Flame
> Retardant Coating
 is an option in order to reduce the  design area. I believe In order to reduce
the Design areas these combustible spaces need to be filled with noncombustible
Insulation. Would "Flame Retardant Coating" be considered an option as outlined
in A.8.15.1.2.11 (commentary text) the equivalency provisions in Section 1.5?
Thank you for your imput. Regards, G. Tim Stone G. Tim Stone Consulting, LLC
NICET Level III Engineering Technician Fire Protection Sprinkler Design and
Consulting Services  117 Old Stage Rd. - Essex Jct
(x-apple-data-detectors://3).,  VT. 05452 (x-apple-data-detectors://4/0)  CELL:
 (802) 373-0638 (tel:(802)%20373-0638)  TEL:  (802) 434-2968
(tel:(802)%20434-2968)   <mailto:tston...@comcast.net>   tston...@comcast.net
(mailto:Sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org)
iresprinkler.org