I do not disagree that the pattern is not perfect.  However, the goal is
fire control, not fire suppression.  In light and ordinary hazards
occupancies especially, as long as the fire stays contained, we have met
the goal of NFPA 13.  In addition, we need to ensure the sprinkler operates
in a reasonable time. In my opinion, the location of the sprinklers to
ensure operation in a timely manner is just or more important to me.

*The above is my opinion and has not been processed as a formal
interpretation in accordance with the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee
Projects. This is provided with the understanding that the AFSA assumes no
liability for this opinion or actions taken on it and they are not to be
considered the official position of the **AFSA, and/or NFPA or its
technical committees.**AFSA cannot provide design or consulting engineering
services, and this opinion should therefore not be considered, nor relied
upon, as such.*

Thanks,
John

John August Denhardt, PE
*Vice President, Engineering and Technical Services*

*American Fire Sprinkler Association*
m: p: 301-343-1457
214-349-5965 ext 121
w: firesprinkler.org
<https://www.facebook.com/firesprinkler.org/>
<https://twitter.com/afsa/status/1039528345367732224>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/american-fire-sprinkler-association-afsa-/>
   <https://www.instagram.com/firesprinklerorg/>

*Our members are at the heart of everything we do.*

*Are you a member with a technical question? *

Don't forget one of the most valuable resources that American Fire
Sprinkler Association provides is technical reviews from our Engineering &
Technical Services Department. It’s like having an FPE on your staff. Visit
www.firesprinkler.org/interp
<https://www.firesprinkler.org/WWW/Contacts/Sign_In.aspx?WebsiteKey=3dff22a3-0306-479c-bccc-7aa1986c8ada&LoginRedirect=true&returnurl=/WWW/Technical_Services/Informal_Interpretations/WWW/Informal_Interpret/Member_View.aspx?hkey=8023e65f-a2ad-4465-9920-0f9313a07324>
submit a question today!