There is no requirement for a generator to back up a 13D system. Since this is a group home there may be a generator provided to tie the pump into with a transfer switch. I would be careful that the AHJ doesn’t then try to enforce the requirements of NFPA20 which would require a power source capable of starting the pump with a locked rotor which would require 6x the normal operating power. That is going to supersize the generator. In my opinion it is better to not even address the generator even if there is one. I have done many similar systems for a couple of customers that build or renovates existing homes and have had to fight this many times. Chris
[cid:[email protected]] From: Fpdcdesign <[email protected]> Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2025 7:45 AM To: Sprinklerforum <[email protected]> Subject: [Sprinklerforum] 13D generator requirements I am working on a group home, which by all of the Code analysis, requires a standard 13D system. They propose to install a pump and tank system. Would a back up power supply be required for this? I have never been asked about it but can’t find much that addresses it. Todd G Williams, PE Fire Protection Design/Consulting Stonington, CT 860-535-2080<tel:860-535-2080> (ofc) 860-554-7054<tel:860-554-7054> (fax) 860-608-4559<tel:860-608-4559> (cell)
_________________________________________________________ SprinklerForum mailing list: https://lists.firesprinkler.org/list/sprinklerforum.lists.firesprinkler.org To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
