Thank you for the suggestion about WinPdb. I will try that. I don't use a
debugger a whole lot either. My code is typically just barely complex
enough to need a debugger, but not so simple that I can be productive
without a good IDE (i.e. with just a text editor, or with just ipython
notebook).

I did go get and try PyCharm (community edition). My experience was not
successful with it yet. As it is mainly built for software developers, not
scientific programmers, I found it frustratingly complex and inflexible. I
don't need the rigidity of keeping all files/folders as a designated
'project', as it requires. My code is oriented around interactive work, and
is based on ipython (including some of its magic commands)-- neither of
which go well when using the main 'run console' that is the default around
which PyCharm is built. (Unless I am misunderstanding something ... see
https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/requests/655254?flash_digest=f0b9cdbc61c6b9f58c958b0e0c6e3ed5df1a3e23.)

Furthermore, their debugger may be good but it is only well-integrated with
their 'run console', not necessarily the ipython console, as far as I could
tell. I had some existing code (modest number of files and simple folder
tree) that worked well within Spyder and didn't need to modify the path or
mess with PYTHONPATH or any other environment variables, and I found that
to get it to run inside PyCharm I had to let PyCharm change the path and
use PYTHONPATH. Furthermore my code imported cx_Oracle (a version that
causes no error) but when run in PyCharm that import found and used a
different cx_Oracle, that came with PyCharm, and caused an obscure Win32
error.

So for now I am sticking with Spyder. If I find that WinPdb meets my
debugging needs with Spyder, then the main thing about Spyder that I still
find limiting is that I can't reorder tabs in the editor (which of course
PyCharm does rather well).