On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 7:19:08 PM UTC-4, Mike Bayer wrote:

> so let me get this straight:
>
> 1. you have many schemas

yes

> 2. you want to run autogenerate only once

yes

> 3. you want your mirations genrated with None for schema

yes

> 4. *HOWEVER*, when you run autogenerate, you are picking *one* (random?
> arbitrary?) schema to use as the target, is that right?

yes one, but it won't be arbitrary, it will be a development schema
generated from the latest version (prior to the change we want to
autogenerate).

> As it stands, your autogenerate is not going to look in any schema except
> "public", assuming default PG search path, because you did not set
> "include_schemas=True".

i had it set to True and it behaves the same. i just took it out based on
your previous suggestion, but again, it behaves the same.

If you truly want autogenerate to look at one schema and only that schema,
> and generate everything as non-schema qualified, then I would simply set
> the default schema in PG to that schema name using search_path:
>
> connection.execute("SET search_path TO my_schema")
>
> that way everything Alembic reflects will be from "my_schema" and it will
> see the schema as blank, and it should generate as such.  you might need to
> disable the schema translate map when autogenerate runs but try it without
> doing that first.

it's still generating the entire schema in the revision file.

here's the updated section and it behaves the same with/without schema
translate map:

with connectable.connect() as connection:

# create DB_SCHEMA if it doesn't exist
connection.execute(f'create schema if not exists {DB_SCHEMA}')

# map metadata schema (None) to DB_SCHEMA
# connection =
connection.execution_options(schema_translate_map={None:DB_SCHEMA})

connection.execute(f"set search_path to {DB_SCHEMA}")

# set alembic version table location in DB_SCHEMA
context.configure(
connection=connection,
include_schemas=True,
target_metadata=metadata,