hibernate didn't magically appear, it was refined with input from users
over many years. if you want to help make sqlalchemy better for yours
and other usage. its much better to give concrete examples, that can be
used to improve it, then making grandiose negative statements. the idea
behind sa's orm is indeed to obviate the need for most common
application sql, if it fails for some reason on a given example, it
would be helpful to actually here what the usage scenario/example is,
perhaps you can post a comparison of a simple model between hibernate
and sa.

for example.. usage complaints as relates to session, are typically
things that can be handled by app server, via app agnostic appserver
integration. sa exposes various session/txn layers for application
flexibility and for easier integration into frameworks or different
programming styles, in much the same way that hibernate does, and
arguably sa is more flexible here for different usage modes (although
hibernate's scaling/deployment options, ie. caches are much nicer).

cheers,

kapil