Michael Bayer wrote:
ive heard of this one already, which is why the option is turned off.
unfortunately I cant reproduce that here, so until someone wants to figure out whats going on with that, not sure what I can do.

Tell me what I have to do. Here I have debian etch and pg 8.1.(the last
deb package)
I don't know if it can help, but a:
print key, self.props
at line 622 (so before the error), show me: 0 {}

we do have a ticket where someone commented that the server side
cursor will cause things like "rowcount" to not function until the
first row is fetched.  I also do not observe that behavior on my
system...asked the guy to post what cases cause that, big surprise,
no response.  its like our trac system is an oracle of shadowy myths
and rumors.

Just tried with a named cursor (conn.cursor("test")) with a "raw"
connection (without sa) and I see that the cur.rowcount have the number
of fetched records, so:

cur.execute("SELECT id FROM a_table_with_100k_rec")
cur.fetchone()
print cur.rowcount # print 1

cur.execute("SELECT id FROM a_table_with_100k_rec")
cur.fetchmany(1000)
print cur.rowcount # print 1000

Bye,
Michele