python setup.py develop [1] doesn't install anything.  It makes a link
to a directory of source code, just like you are doing w/ the
pythonpath, and you only have to run it once.  either method is
accomplishing the same thing.  I just find workingenv very easy to use
and wanted to share since there isn't really any documentation on it.

[1]
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#develop-deploy-the-project-source-in-development-mode