So one thing we're attempting to do in a project I'm working on is
partitioning our data set across several databases based on object
keys.  I've come up with a way to implement this in SQLAlchemy which
I've provided here as a mostly-complete patch.

Session objects now have a bind_func method which associates a
function taking a mapper and an ORM object and returning a
Connectable to a mapper.  When a transaction is begun on an object
associated with that mapper, this function is called in order to work
out which Connectable should be used to handle this object.

The main area where I haven't been able to work this through
completely is in the dependency handling of many-to-many relationships.

I'm very interested in what people think of this and whether they
feel it's a candidate for inclusion in SQLAlchemy.

The patch is against SQLAlchemy 0.3.5.