FYI I get this trace with the version you attached.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/john/sqla/sqlatest.py", line 5, in -toplevel-
    fbdb = create_engine(dbstr)
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/sqlalchemy/engine/__init__.py",
line 154, in create_engine
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/sqlalchemy/engine/strategies.py",
line 66, in create
  File "/home/john/sqla/firebird.py", line 307, in create_connect_args
    if self.dbapi is not None and not self.dbapi.initialized:
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'initialized'

Thanks for your help and I understand that you have other priorities.
I am probably doing something wrong, is it correct to copy your
firebird.py into the folder with my source and import it?  I have also
replaced the firebird.py in the .egg and get the same error.
To be quite honest I think I will go back to good old simple
mod_python and kinterbasdb.  Althought TG is a great concept when it
doesn't work the poor old appllciation programmer doesn't stand a
hope.  There are far too many levels of code and dependencies between
the enduser and the database!

John