Beyond the API "littering", there may be instances where it is difficult or
impossible to remove a query attribute, because adding the attribute caused
a join calculation or reordered parenthesis, or whatever.

The second pattern is better, e.g. "save a copy", rather than mucking things
up with removal code. One of the aims here is to simplify the API, and IMO
adding removal code works against that.