pymssql does better, but as the underlying dbLib does not support unicode,
most of the unicode-based unit tests fail.

For me, at least, "solid" and "passes all tests" are not necessarily the
same thing....

The issue I think likes more with the test suite than with MSSQL or any of
its connectors, and I just haven't really found the time to dig into the
underlying reasons, as the basics all work for me -- I use pymssql with SA
in a commercial application that processes millions of rows per day with
some really complex SQL, mixing ORM with SQL layer
operations, mixing transactions between ORM and the SQL layer, calling database
functions and stored procedures and working with lots of different
datatypes, and the thing works fine. It runs under Pylons with Paste, and
stays up for weeks at a time. It's stable. It's solid. And yes, it fails
unit tests.

Writing a comprehensive test suite for  like six different database engines
is really, really difficult, because of all the various feature sets
involved. Trying to run that test suite on a database that was more or less
a late entry to the game, with three (count em!) DB-API access modules, each
with their own sets of annoying problems, and then add the issue of crossing
the Unix - WIndow DMZ, and I'm not surprised we get test failures.

I'll be working on getting pyodbc stable and supported on Unix over the next
weeks and months, but it's going to be a slow process that's going to
involve more adjusting of the tests than fixes to the MSSQL module. In a
fast-changing library like SA, that's difficult because test changes are
likely to break other databases and annoy the author ;-)

What will help, at least a little is a buildbot that will run the tests on
Unix across a range of databases. I'm setting that up to run from the Pylons
buildbot master, which will watch SQLalchemy trunk checkins. This way, when
you make changes
for Windows, we can see their effects for Unix within a few minutes on
all databases. The
other thing that's going to have to happen is a pretty big effort to
straighten out dependancies on database feature sets in the unit tests, and
factor those out so we don't see spurious failures.

So, if your acceptance criteria for SA + MSSQL is going to be "passes all
unit tests", then it's going to be a while before that happens. But we will
get there eventually.