Not exactly sure about what Valentin is doing there, will need to take a
look at the actual schema and data involved,

select distinct path, row_number() over (order by path desc) as ora_rn from
Block

row_number() is always distinct, therefore, the results returned by the
above query will include all duplicate rows, now why would group by orn_rn,
path help in this scenario?

one way to solve the distinct problem could be. wrap the actual query
involving distinct inside an inner query, then apply row number on that
instead.

so we have
select *, row_number() over (order by path desc) from (select distinct path
from Block)