hey frank -

awesome !  i had tried Jython a little bit but had probs getting its
2.3 support happening.  glad to hear its able to import sqlalchemy.

this does raise an issue which has come up a few times, which is the
best strategy to break up our dialects to support a common database
among different drivers.  We do have an ad-hoc approach to this in
mssql.py and its been suggested that we might want to break up the
system to support things like mxODBC.  I think the approach we take
would wind up having urls like "jdbc:mysql://<url>" and such,
breaking up dialects to be two distinct levels.

anyway, we've had our eye on someday having Jython working with SA
all the way since the beginning, so whatever I can do to help let me
know, or stop by on #sqlalchemy on freenode.

- mike