On 7/16/07, Michael Bayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hey frank -
>
> awesome !  i had tried Jython a little bit but had probs getting its
> 2.3 support happening.  glad to hear its able to import sqlalchemy.
It certainly continues to have some problems, for example, I think
"re" is missing a few methods -- so my hacked up mysql.py switched to
sre.  That's a bug in Jython that will need to get looked at.  Worse
than that, we don't support decorators yet, so we won't be able to run
sqlalchemy's unit tests until we straighten that out (btw calling the
branch "2.3" is outdated now -- we will probably target Python 2.5 for
the next Jython version).

> this does raise an issue which has come up a few times, which is the
> best strategy to break up our dialects to support a common database
> among different drivers.  We do have an ad-hoc approach to this in
> mssql.py and its been suggested that we might want to break up the
> system to support things like mxODBC.  I think the approach we take
> would wind up having urls like "jdbc:mysql://<url>" and such,
> breaking up dialects to be two distinct levels.
That sounds reasonable -- that was a question I had in mind when I
posted this, glad to hear that you are thinking about it.
jdbc:mysql:// will look very natural to Java developers.

> anyway, we've had our eye on someday having Jython working with SA
> all the way since the beginning, so whatever I can do to help let me
> know, or stop by on #sqlalchemy on freenode.
Glad to hear it!

-Frank