long time ago i was talking with a friend on similar problem, back
then about Grafix drivers, where u could have many levels of
enhancement (sub)drivers and functionalitites done on any level,
including in hardware (or none at all). There was some rule like "if
u have it at lower level, use that, else simulate". The
terms/keywords used were "multilevel hierachical interfaces". (In
our case "hardware" is the sql-server). silicon grafix grafical
engines were built in similar way, using same frontend library, which
simulates everything if u have no hardware, or gradualy moves all the
work down to hardware with its price going up exponentialy ;-).

Lookup if u can find some pointers...