On Sep 26, 2007, at 5:31 PM, Dan Watson wrote:

> cursor.description isn't available after the DECLARE (analogous to
> conn.cursor("x")), but is available after a FETCH (analogous to a
> cur.fetchXXX()). If you want to get rid of the buffering resultproxy,
> you can do a "FETCH ABSOLUTE 0 FROM cursor_name" - that will make
> cursor.description available, and leave the SS cursor positioned
> before the first row.

also i should note that we do eventually want to have more options on
Connection to control things like this; transaction isolation, cursor
behavior, etc.  just need to decide on an API for it.  if you need
this feature sooner rather than later its not a big deal to add
(somethihng like connection.set_options(named_cursors=True) ).