looks like it won't work using psycopg2's named cursor implementation,
at least not without some patching. it seems like psycopg should fill
in cursor.description after it issues the DECLARE, but it doesn't. you
can do it using one normal (non-named) cursor in SA using the method
above, but it would probably require some significant work, since
you'd have to transform SELECT statements into FETCH statements.

anyway, thanks for the fix!