> What would you recommend? How are the gurus out there using
> sqlalchemy?

I don't know what the gurus are doing. I'll answer as long as none of
them does :-)
It's probably what you're assuming already:
Mapped classes can be treated as "Active Records". Usually, I'm
encapsulating these active records in their own modules. These modules
can be seen as a layer directly above the relational DB, and they have
all SQLAlchemy imports encapsulated. (99% in practice ;-)
If you can't encapsulate, Pythons import machinery will allow us to
use names like sa.Table ... so I can't see a pollution problem (at
least, not worse than with any other library.)
Regards-
 Ruben