I guess I'm being dense: I don't see it.

Here is what I think is doing the inheritence From mssql.py line 191-ish:

class MSText(*sqltypes.Text*):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        if self.dialect.text_as_varchar:
            return "VARCHAR(max)"
        else:
            return "TEXT"

it currently uses no dialect_impl() override.

and then on line 366:

class MSSQLDialect(default.DefaultDialect):
    colspecs = {
        sqltypes.Unicode : MSNVarchar,
        sqltypes.String : MSString,
*        sqltypes.Text : MSText,