> >  I'm using pyodbc on Unix.
>
> <blink> You are???
>
> This statement jumped out of the message for me. Can you please describe
> your setup to the list? There is a lot of interest in this configuration.

I am using unixodbc-2.2.11 as packaged by Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) with
locally-installed freetds-0.64 (the tdsodbc Ubuntu package was 0.63
and had issues with SQL Server 2005) and locally-installed
pyodbc-2.0.52.  I configured the server with tds version = 8.0 in /etc/
freetds/freetds.conf, defined the FreeTDS driver in /etc/odbcinst.ini,
and the DSN in /etc/odbc.ini; it works fine once I figured out the URL
needs to look like mssql://myuser:mypass@/mydbname?dsn=DSN_FROM_ODBCINI
(note the slash after the at symbol).

I know the documentation suggests this is not reliable, but I haven't
had any problems that I would attribute to pyodbc.